Thursday, April 17, 2008

Things That Make Me Go Hmmm

Can we talk about New Guy again? Wait, why am I asking you? This is my blog. Let’s talk about New Guy.

On Tuesday night, I was at McGee’s having a drink with two of my Idol League guys, TM and BM. BM was drinking water.

BM is a recovering alcoholic and he has issues with what went on last weekend. He thinks New Guy took advantage of my situation and since I told him I was celibate, he should have backed off. BM even likened it to someone knowingly offering him a shot of tequila. He has been sober for over a year now and he admits it’s still a day-to-day struggle, if not a minute-by-minute one.

Of course, that got me thinking. I appreciated BM’s attempt to exonerate me. But have you ever heard the expression “you can’t rape the willing”? Yeah, it’s kind of like that.

It’s not as if I am some nubile virgin who is trying to combat her own increasing curiosity. Let’s be honest, if there’s one thing I have little remaining curiosity about, it’s the subtle nuances of sexual activity. I’m a big girl and I knew what I was getting into. I can’t go out, get drunk and then flirt but expect no boy to take the bait. So we’re back to the point of the mea culpa I made the other day. I can’t blame anyone but myself for last Saturday. What happened with New Guy was just the symptom. The Celibacy Project is meant to cure the disease.

And that’s why BM is taking me to a Sex Addicts Anonymous meeting next week.

xo

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Please allow me to be the nerdy journalist that I am for a moment: You buried the lede! You're going to a sex addicts meeting? I. Can't. Wait.